chelsearussell

Chelsea Russell's Blog

I grew up with a love of the written word. Writing is an art just like any other creative endeavor. Unlike painting with pastels, my words are my medium.

The Passage
J.R.R. Tolkien
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

Pure

Pure - Julianna Baggott This timeless dystopian tale was brutally honest. There were times when my heart was broken into a million pieces. Pressia’s bravery and hope made her a very enjoyable heroine. She just picked herself up and kept right on going despite all the wretchedness she encountered. All of the characters were interesting in their own way and I enjoyed trying to deduce whether they were friend or foe.

I was kept guessing throughout the entirety of this book, which was refreshing. I feel as though so many plots are way too predicable nowadays. I thought I had the twist figured out in the beginning, but I dismissed my original idea. Ironically enough, my guess ended up being correct.

Julianna Baggot effortlessly manages to introduce a slew of controversial themes into her story. I was impressed by her portrayal of domestic violence, genetic engineering and the woes inherent in big government. Her use of imagery was spectacular. In fact, there were several times when I wished I wasn’t able to images the scenes quite so vividly.

This book is epic in so many ways :). If you haven’t already read it, then make sure and add it to your to-read list!