chelsearussell

Chelsea Russell's Blog

I grew up with a love of the written word. Writing is an art just like any other creative endeavor. Unlike painting with pastels, my words are my medium.

The Passage
J.R.R. Tolkien
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

Ashfall

Ashfall - Mike Mullin Yep, this book is as amazing as all the reviews proclaim! I checked this book out from the library a few months ago, but wasn't able to get around to reading it. Boy, I sure am glad I checked it out again :). Alex is a bit of a nerd, but luckily he had the whole kung fu thing going for him. He's also a stickler for always doing the right thing, which was somewhat refreshing for YA. His moral integrity gets him in troubles at times, but he's not afraid of doing what needs to be done in order to survive.

"Ashfall" was brutal in its depiction of the realities inherent in a post-apocolyptic future. It only took me a few days to read this book, which is almost always a good indication of an awesome read. I'm glad the romance didn't overshadow the adventure. Lately, it seems as though many YA dystopic books are overshadowed by sappy romance rather than action. Me want ACTION!

I loved everything about this book, by my favorite character by far was Darla. She rocks hardcore! If you haven't read this book, then you should definitely add it to your list!

P.S. - It's also pretty cool the author is from Indiana. Go Hoosiers :D.