chelsearussell

Chelsea Russell's Blog

I grew up with a love of the written word. Writing is an art just like any other creative endeavor. Unlike painting with pastels, my words are my medium.

The Passage
J.R.R. Tolkien
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

The Lies of Locke Lamora

The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch It's very true when they claim this book has a distinct Robin Hood-esque feel to it. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the many adventures of Locke Lamora. I loved the trickery and schemes the Gentlemen Bastards concocted. I was constantly left wanting to know what ploy they had up their sleeves. There were multiple times where I was surprised by the outcome.

I felt Lamora's despair at loosing the only family he'd ever known. I despised the Gray King along with the Gentlemen Bastards. I required vengeance as well. I had full faith Lamora would suceed in righting things. I admit to being constantly teased by the mention of Sabetha and yet Lynch never once brings her into the story directly. I suppose it's a good technique to keep readers guessing as to why she's so mysterious, but it's also a bit vexing ;p.

This is a bit off the wall, but I couldn't seem to stop myself from thinking the Gray King might somehow be Lamora's father. Totally crazy, I know. I never claimed my reasoning skills were logical lol.

The in-between chapters almost reminded me of those in "The Grapes of Wrath," although Lynch's are definitely useful and contain background information. They contained great bits of information, but at the same time I found them almost annoying. In part this is due to the fact that Lynch would break off into an interlude at some pretty intense cliffhangers. Overall, "The Lies of Locke Lamora" was an excellent read. I'll probably wait a little while before I delve into the second book just because they're fairly lengthy.

P.S. - I would have enjoyed a book based solely on the childhood of Lamora and all the escapades he got himself into. Plus, it would have eradicated the need for those in-between chapters.