chelsearussell

Chelsea Russell's Blog

I grew up with a love of the written word. Writing is an art just like any other creative endeavor. Unlike painting with pastels, my words are my medium.

The Passage
J.R.R. Tolkien
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green I feel as though my heart is broken. My eyes are swollen to twice their usual size and my head is pounding from having cried so much in such a short amount of time.

There were parts I really loved about this book, but there were also parts I didn't like so much. I felt as though some of the language Green used was off putting. There were a spattering of words I had to look up, which I didn't mind, but even after knowing their meaning they didn't always make sense. I suppose that was my only qualm with this book.

I've always been of the philosophy I'd rather avoid reading sad books because life is already sad enough. For some unaccountable reason I decided to go against the grain when it came to this book. The rave reviews sucked me in I suppose ;p. I'm certainly glad I read this book, despite all the tears. But I imagine I'll try and keep the amount of sad books I read to a minimum.

As unusual as it may sound, I was able to relate with Hazel and Augustus. When I was notified my unit would be deploying to Afghanistan I felt as though I'd been told I had a specific expiration date. I know we're all going to die one day, but when you are healthy and young it's the last thought on your mind. It took me a long time to come to terms with the realization that I could very well die at any moment. There are still moments when I might feel overwhelmed by the thought, but at the same time the understanding that comes with acceptance has made me stronger than I ever was before.

Even though I sobbed my heart out multiple times throughout this book, "The Fault in Our Stars" holds many valuable insights and lessons into the true meaning of life.