chelsearussell

Chelsea Russell's Blog

I grew up with a love of the written word. Writing is an art just like any other creative endeavor. Unlike painting with pastels, my words are my medium.

The Passage
J.R.R. Tolkien
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

Academ's Fury

Academ's Fury - Jim Butcher The second book in the Codex Alera series was a true joy to read. I thought it started off a bit slower than the first book, but I wasn't disappointed by any means. The action really picked up about half-way through.

The first half is mainly concerned with politics and intrigue. I guess I'm just not a fan of the more stilted action behind forming alliances and what not ... I'd probably be absolutely terrible at "Survivor" or most any other strategic reality television show ;p.

I adore Butcher's ability to craft such likable characters. I started reading the Dresden Files a while ago, but wasn't too impressed. Considering my fascination with this series, I just may have to rethink my initial thoughts on Jim Butcher's more well-know fantasy series.

I'm quite eager to continue my journey into the fascinating world of Alera and learn more about its inhabitants. Onward and outward, I say!