chelsearussell

Chelsea Russell's Blog

I grew up with a love of the written word. Writing is an art just like any other creative endeavor. Unlike painting with pastels, my words are my medium.

The Passage
J.R.R. Tolkien
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn Twisted. Tragic. Poetic. Hopeful. Dark. Bleak. Hurtful. Desperate.

A conglomeration of words could be used to describe this book.

Gillian Flynn has quite a talent for taking distasteful imagery and giving it an incongruent beauty. I didn't know what to think of this book, especially after seeing the words "twisted" and "dark" bandied about by other reviewers. Some books leave you feeling dirty and guilt-ridden after reading them, which is why I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to delve into something that might have that affect on me.

Although there were numerous moments where my lip curled in disgust and my mind flinched away from the brutal honesty contained within Camille's words, I couldn't help but fall head first into the mystery of a small town serial killer. I loved Camille's search for the truth. It was a brutal journey, but she persisted despite the unearthing of painful memories.

Phenomenal.